Sunday, June 16, 2013

How to Link to a Website or Blog - A Practice in Technical Writing

This might seem simple and straightforward to most people, but when I first started blogging, adding links, and following links, sometimes  getting back to my website was confusing. That was about ten years ago when I first learned how to use internet, five years after I learned how to use the home computer! I was in my early thirties, and it seemed a little hard to grasp some of the technical things. Sometimes I thought I would just quit, because why bother about it, I already knew how to type; but I'm glad I persevered, it helped me to see a new world and now I can do searches with a few strokes of the keys, and I often use the mouse just as well, now. It wasn't as hard as I thought, though I still have no clues about programming languages like Java script. I'm not sure what it is about HTML that I'm supposed to know, and my blog doesn't have a look and feel I like extremely a lot; it's okay ;)

# 1




What you do -


First, you want to make a link or "left" "click" continuously on the url at the top of the window, and copy paste it to your document; then you dbl click on it and choose between different options. As it first appears, choose the option  'rel='nofollow' attribute by checking the appropriate box. An url will  be pasted where you point the cursor;an example is this long link,


as above, which you change to the first link, as seen in the first purple link above. The second link can be improved as to the look of it, by clicking on "choose" after you "right click" use the right mousebutton - as follows - "right click" on the link in the long http;//.....format.  Either choose to "change" or "remove". Then save your changes to the document or post by clicking on "Save" button in your browser window.

This type of link can be placed anywhere in your blogpost where you desire to say something while/in addition to adding a link to another url e.g. video or another blogpost... the link can be a word in a sentence which you want to highlight. When doing this, "choose" 'rel='nofollow' attribute
[ I think this will prevent your link from being followed, duh?? It will probably not show up in data about your usage?? or others won't know who has a link to their site?? Maybe someone can answer me this question. I also don't what permalinks do and have never wanted to use one.
 :-/

I am learning more about science and religion, particularly  the verses about embryology in the Quran.

 Now your link is ready. when you are done just press Publish, (the orange button to the right in the dashboard area.)

If you're not sure the link works you can check it before finishing the link, or you can finish it and Save, the use the Preview window, to see your results. If the link doesn't work, try doing it again.

I usually use the other "...", instead of 'rel=nofollow' attribute. I don't know if there is a significant difference, both ways the link will work as well.


# 2



Another way to add an url -

For posting a link here: THE OTHER WAY IS TO CLICK ON THE LINK BUTTON AS IN FIG. 1. Then right "click" choose ‘copy’. Then position the pointer (the cursor) where you want the link in the document, and right “click”, choose "paste." Voila~  http://www.onereason.org/ Left "click on the mouse to reveal the menu of options; choose to "follow the link "change", or "remove".

If you choose to change the link, you will have an opportunity to change the look of the link, e.g. you can make the link say something else relevant to a document, or an idea in your post.
Here I have changed the url to read, "gimme a reason!" I also opted to "open in a new window" . This means ?? (lol, #it is what it is, it does what it does.)

Left clicking on any link will reveal the original url.
http;//www.what ever the link (clicking on different colored font, tells you if the word is a link or just colorful.

the link will appear like so:http://www.onereason.org/ if you don't change it. And tells people exactly where it's going to (e.g. the original url of the website it leads to).Dbl click on it with the left mouse button to visit the website.
Rule of thumb - left click is for the menu options, change or remove; right click is to paste, or delete or select all. You can also send to one note with right click.If you want to select everything but the links in the post, you can change the font for the entire page, except the links.

This type of link, you can change slightly or remove, etc by clicking on the left mouse button and seeing the menu. Click on the optional word (in blue font) which corresponds to what you want to do e.g. "go to link", "change" or "remove".


Next you choose how  the link works, there are only two options. Left "click" on it to show the options. Check either option. I used the (first)(other) option, "open this link in a new window" this time. and  If you read or understand  Arabic you might like this link, if not, but you've never seen Arabic online news before, this is a regional website, we have here in the GCC - in the Persian Gulf.
Wondering why I thought to do a post about creating links? For two reasons - it's practice in technical writing, as you probably noticed by the Post's Title, but also, it is fun to create documents with useful and funny urls, especially by changing the way they look and how that reflects your creativity will be benefits, which add interest to your writing and to you, the "creative" "genius".  Don't over do it though ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment