Monday, January 2, 2017

Do Have A Nice Day!

One popular accusation against religions is that they are meant to pacify the people; I argued in 
another post why this isn't the case e.g. people didn't become lazy until well into the past century to century and a half, most people still had to work for a living and take care of large 
families, being that large families were unavoidable, and Homer Sapiens (the couch potato man) didn't come into the scene until very recently in human history. 
It's not plausible that the church or any other organized religion wanted to control people
(by scaring the wits out of them with 'fire and brimstone')just to make sure they kept working. 
This is a 'fail' and a concocted argument. Obviously, the feudal lords didn't invent religion, it's 
been around as long as people have.

It is much more plausible that messengers really did come to teach people, throughout the ages, and that is why we have scriptures with similar themes, about Hell and Paradise, some type of "salvation" (the idea of repentance, as well is included), and "commandments"(about what is "good or evil"). 

But I read something which made me take a different approach to this topic - 'controlling the masses' is done more than not, with entertaining plays, during the Greek period (200 - 600 BC) 
and later, during Shakespeare's day, with the English plays. Today Hollywood, or Bollywood do the same thing, on a much bigger scale, but the reason for building theaters was to draw in more and more people to the earlier works, and today people are driven to the modern 'movies' and 'home theaters', too.

At first, plays were about religion performed at religious occasions. Then morality plays, which told about the struggles between good and evil, and finally drama plays, which included a hidden message (about something the author wanted to convey to the audience without 'getting caught').

All this is information one can learn from any student of English Literature at the University.

I have to wonder though, how did Shakespeare intend his audience, of peasants or anyone else, to understand his 'hidden message' and for him not to 'get caught' at the same time? 
Didn't the authorities also understand Shakespeare's meaning? (They couldn't have been more dense than the average lover of theater, could they?) At this point my sons will shout, "Illuminati confirmed!"

I hate to argue with Christians or anyone else about their beliefs, because it isn't my intention to convert people. On the contrary, I would like if people who are questioning their own faith 
could seek out myself or anyone else to get 'information'. I am not one to judge others, on 
the contrary - I know what it is like to question one's beliefs, being a convert to Islam myself. 

I don't think it is helpful to others or the cause of peace, to force one's ideas or beliefs onto individuals who are at a 'happy place' in their lives and are not interested in learning (not that I am putting them down for being understandably skeptical, because most people are, regardless of their background.) Maybe they are not the like minded, or open-minded person you can make an instant connection with. 
"Leave well enough alone", I say. I did forget this 'cardinal' rule of mine yesterday, maybe because people were wishing me and others a 'Happy New Year!'
But the truth is, it is very uncomfortable to confront people with opposing beliefs, which often clash dramatically with their beliefs (or world view). 
Christians and other religious folks are quite tenacious, just as many Muslims are. I think that's okay, 
and we should all learn to accept the differences.

I want to wish all  my readers "Peace", as usual. Like I told someone else yesterday, he was an English teacher no less, people can send me well wishes any day! (the hidden message being, 
please don't include me in your religious or secular celebrations!) 





1 comment: